Fast food can hardly be imagined as a part of any diet plan that has been proved to be healthy, but there is good news for those who want to enjoy healthy fast food choices and keep up with weight loss efforts at the same time. It is estimated that one out of every four Americans, eats fast food daily. The affordability and mobility of fast food make many people choose it over any other type of food. The trouble comes in with a huge load of calories, fat, and sodium in a single handy fast food meal which one can easily eat and move. A single serving of these foods may contain calories, fat and sodium more than the whole day’s need for a regular person. A fast food meal typically can be served with over 1700 calories.
A lot of fast food choices and more traditional restaurants as well are starting to get the message and fortunately these days, they are offering foods that we would cook at home if enough time had been available. Soups, different types of salads as well as veggie dishes and fruits are already introduced in fast food menus. McDonald’s, the fast-food giant/icon all over the world has added the undoubtedly tasty yogurt and granola parfait already in their menu.
If you have no other way without consuming fast food every day, you can follow the five ways listed below to make healthier choices that won’t defeat your diet plans as you go to pull the window up.
1) Keep a limited portion size – You should always get the smallest of the sandwich sizes in order to consume fewer calories and fat. Sometimes a single portion of sandwich in these fast food outlets may contain calories and fat that’s worth more than two standard meals.
2) Try to choose the healthy type – There are more healthy options on today’s fast food menus than they had ever before. You can go for low-fat dressings in a salad, baked potato, maybe slices of oranges or apples, and corn on the cob, potato chips baked or steamed rice and many a healthier- low-calorie options are there.
3) Green is good – You can choose a salad for entrée while adding grilled chicken, veggies or shrimp and the dressing should be on the side. At McDonald’s you may consider their Southwest Salad, Chicken Garden Salad at the Burger King, and Wendy’s Salad called the Chicken Garden. You must avoid fried toppings and breaded ones as well as extra bacon bits, cheese or croutons.
4) Grilled food’s glory – Fat and calories are abundant in fried or breaded food. You should never choose any food labeled as deep fried, pan fried, breaded, scalloped, Alfredo, au gratin, basted, batter dripped, creamy, crispy, or in cream sauce. The best choices by you would be chicken or turkey breast, roasted beef or lean ham.
5) Wisely choose your drinks – Surprising masses of calorie and fat are stuffed in the sweetened regular beverage and you can reduce them tremendously by choosing diet soda, sugar-free ice tea, mineral water. These options will quench your thirst and strengthen your diet plan as well. Avoiding shakes is compulsory as they come with a load of an entire day’s calories and fat allotment for anyone.
You never should settle for the regularly offered things with your sandwich. Low fat mayonnaises, mustard, and dressings served beside, calorie-laden sauce and salsa instead of cheese are good enough healthy fast food choices for anyone with a diet plan. You can also order a sandwich with its regular toppings and add ketchup or mustard by your own choice instead.
At last but not the least, if you are sure about being tempted on the way back home from a late meeting or exercise, always order healthy fast food and also make sure that what you eat or drink with your meal is unquestionably healthy too. Making an extra effort to your regular workout will not hurt and give splendid results in your effective plan to keep extremely FIT.